HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RickyBobbyMew

PostSubject: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:00 am

Another thread got me thinking about this. There are usually two schools of thought when it comes to the basics in determining someone's value or worth: everyone is equal, or everyone is not. Part of me wants to believe everyone is equal but when I think of all the great scientists and leaders, architects and various system builders in the world and then look at the guy who is begging for change every day at the escalator at Montgomery Station I can't help but contrast the two. If everyone on Earth were going to be struck by an asteroid and only 1,000 people could be saved, who would be chosen? Would it be completely random or would we pick the group that is the most likely to rebuild civilization?

If you were to judge someone's value or worth, how would you do it?

This is not an easy question to answer. Females have an intrinsic advantage due to their ability to produce children. This is simply a matter of practicality, at least in the doomsday scenario. Outside of that context, in a world that is slowly becoming overpopulated there probably isn't as much added practical value. The next thing to look at might be what that person has produced, or what skills they have that make them a productive member of society.

That in itself has a lot of grey areas. For example, what if they are producing something illegal? Some people might think a clandestine drug manufacturer is taking away from society, but at the same time they are making a lot of people happy. There are also many hardworking individuals with jobs like busing tables, waste disposal and the people who cook the meals that I eat. Can you say they are less valuable than a doctor, scientist or engineer? Those jobs are important, they are needed and to be honest those people often work HARDER than the doctors, scientists and engineers.

Or maybe everyone is equal and you can't attribute value based on ANY of the above. I'm not sure I buy that, however. Productivity made our society, made the internet and will save your life when you are sick. Productivity gives us the drugs we use to get high. Productivity gives us the ability to talk to people all over the world, travel to foreign places and be entertained by movies and theater. Without productive members of society you would have none of this.

So, personally I think there is some truth to it.

Last edited by RickyBobbyMew on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tank Abuse

Humor : Exposed.

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:14 am

If you are not an ass, then you are worthwhile to me. Productive member of society doesn't really factor into it in my book. If you're an assdouche then you can pretty much fall off of the face of the Earth for all I care--even if you rake in 300k a year and haven't done a single crime in your life.

Pretty much simple as that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gman313.deviantart.com/
RickyBobbyMew

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:19 am

Tank Abuse wrote:
If you are not an ass, then you are worthwhile to me. If you're an assdouche then you can pretty much fall off of the face of the Earth for all I care.

So, in other words, you judge people's value or worth based on whether or not they are nice?

Is that nice to you, or nice to everybody?

The reason I ask is HARDLY ANYONE is nice to EVERYONE.

There are always people you will dislike and people who will dislike you, for whatever reason(s) that may be.

If you mean just to yourself, that seems subjective and possibly selfish but I respect your opinion.

(also: I see your edit now but it doesn't really change my response)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunar
Certified Muff-Diving Instructor

Humor : I Dimmadon't give a shit.

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:35 am

I want to think that everyone is equal, but let's face it. Productive members of society, open minds, and those who have a drive to better themselves are worth more than your average stumblebum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tank Abuse

Humor : Exposed.

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:36 am

RickyBobbyMew wrote:
Tank Abuse wrote:
If you are not an ass, then you are worthwhile to me. If you're an assdouche then you can pretty much fall off of the face of the Earth for all I care.

So, in other words, you judge people's value or worth based on whether or not they are nice?

Is that nice to you, or nice to everybody?

The reason I ask is HARDLY ANYONE is nice to EVERYONE.

There are always people you will dislike and people who will dislike you, for whatever reason(s) that may be.

If you mean just to yourself, that seems subjective and possibly selfish but I respect your opinion.

(also: I see your edit now but it doesn't really change my response)

Yeah I guess. You don't have to be some extra nice person. I'm not extra nice. Actually I can be kind of cold sometimes. I mean look at Wolf-Bone for instance. The dude isn't overly-nice but to me he isn't an asshat because he doesn't go out of his way to make the lives of other people around him unbearable.

I don't go out of my way to start measuring people's contributions to society. I know people who don't do anything yet I find them enjoyable to be around. And then there are people who actually do productive things, yet they are some of the most insufferable people I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gman313.deviantart.com/
Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:51 am

what the fuck is "juding"? is that some faggy san Fransisco slang for being a Judas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunar

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:59 am

Wolf-Bone wrote:
what the fuck is "juding"? is that some faggy san Fransisco slang for being a Judas?
A Judas? Like... plural? O.o Singular form Juda?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MiloTime

Humor : George Michael Bluth

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:05 am

I wonder how people see me in RL. especially in the position I'm in. I'll admit, I don't feel like I'm much of a contribution to society... I do what I think is the least burdening to others. I try to stay out of people's way. I feel that's the most I can do.

anyway, I don't judge people based on worth. I appreciate the people who are always aware of everyone around them. there's something so rare about a person who can put themselves in someone else's shoes, and sympathize with them. what I mean is, it's rare to see someone who might walk past a homeless person, and NOT assume that booze and drugs got him there in the first place. I like people who can see as much worth in a homeless person, as he can, a guy in a nice suit. mostly because I don't think making money really constitutes for worth in society.

unless you literally spend all of your money donating to charity. and even still... you'd think hundreds of millions of dollars would actually change shit, but it all stays the same. so what the hell is all of this money doing for the homeless, other than turning people away 90% of the time at shelters, or for the children in africa, other than giving them screen time on t.v, to make americans feel guilty. I'm actually curious to see if there's an analysis on this. seeing where poverty goes before and after millions of dollars had been donated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:09 am

Lunar wrote:
Wolf-Bone wrote:

You know, Judas, the guy who snitched on Jesus
popular parlance for traitor, snitch, informer
maybe "Juding" is the state of Judas-like personality and behaviors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:12 am

stop juding this place up

jesus.

I mean judas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunar

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:12 am

Wolf-Bone wrote:
Lunar wrote:
Wolf-Bone wrote:

You know, Judas, the guy who snitched on Jesus
popular parlance for traitor, snitch, informer
maybe "Juding" is the state of Judas-like personality and behaviors
Lol I know. I'm just fucking with ya.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:15 am

this thread is so fucking gay I think Judas Garland should be its official mascot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RickyBobbyMew

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:40 am

Tank Abuse wrote:
I don't go out of my way to start measuring people's contributions to society. I know people who don't do anything yet I find them enjoyable to be around. And then there are people who actually do productive things, yet they are some of the most insufferable people I've ever seen.
Well yeah, neither do I. Most of my friends are poor.

The professional types usually bore me.

I wasn't asking whom you'd befriend; this is an objective assignment of "worth."

MiloTime wrote:
I wonder how people see me in RL. especially in the position I'm in. I'll admit, I don't feel like I'm much of a contribution to society... I do what I think is the least burdening to others. I try to stay out of people's way. I feel that's the most I can do.
Dude... You're like what? 19? 20?

When I was your age I wasn't in any better of a situation and I was even less motivated to change.

MiloTime wrote:
what I mean is, it's rare to see someone who might walk past a homeless person, and NOT assume that booze and drugs got him there in the first place. I like people who can see as much worth in a homeless person, as he can, a guy in a nice suit. mostly because I don't think making money really constitutes for worth in society.
You are right; that is quite rare.

It's a shame most people are ignorant enough to let their preconceptions always get the best of them.

They think with body parts other than their brain ;3

MiloTime wrote:
I don't think making money really constitutes for worth in society.
I don't, either.

Wolf-Bone wrote:
this thread is so fucking gay I think Judas Garland should be its official mascot
Well, you are certainly free to create another topic that is more interesting if you have one.

Meta-discussion in comments like that isn't very PRODUCTIVE, though ;3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:50 am

RickyBobbyMew wrote:

Dude... You're like what? 19? 20?

22 :<

although it's a good thing I can still get away with reduced fares on the bus... since people still think I look under 18, as long as I shave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:10 am

Meta-discussion is what this entire forum is about
if you want SRS business go back to FAF :3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RickyBobbyMew

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:36 am

MiloTime wrote:
22 :<

although it's a good thing I can still get away with reduced fares on the bus... since people still think I look under 18, as long as I shave
Still, you are very young XD

If you were my age (30+) and still not doing anything to try and better your life, there's a problem.

You're just in a shitty predicament. It's not easy to just get out of it, and it will take time.

You will though. As long as you don't give up and stop trying, you will succeed.

I think there is more pride in going from rags to riches, anyway.

Especially if you compare yourself to someone who had everything handed to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lucy
GTW Trailer Park Supervisor

Humor : Shit hawks.

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 am

My opinion of people's worth doesn't mean shit, anyway. Not a single fuck wa

"Brothers, today is the day we revolt against our oppressive shark overlord. She is a filthy gill-breather that must be expunged to free us into a forum society that deserves free reign over its own actions. No longer shall we be the sheep of Lucy and her corrupt motivations. So rise up, forumers. Rise up, children of freedom. Let us smoke the dogfish with the sweet honey glaze of revenge!"

"#HeilNickiMinaj2013"

~Greg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RickyBobbyMew

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Lucy wrote:
That's pretty far from true. Your opinion of your own self worth is an important factor in your self-esteem. Then again, you're also young so you fall into the same "my life is just starting" boat. These things are important to think about. What are your goals? What do you think will bring you a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment in life so you don't turn 40 one day and look back and see it was all just an empty void?

Wolf-Bone wrote:
Meta-discussion is what this entire forum is about
if you want SRS business go back to FAF :3
I wasn't saying meta-discussion is bad. I was saying that some kinds of meta-discussion are unproductive.

Then again, maybe unproductive isn't bad. That's kinda what this thread is about XD

I think inane banter is fine, as long as the person is also serious when need be ;3

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lucy
GTW Trailer Park Supervisor

Humor : Shit hawks.

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:00 pm

RickyBobbyMew wrote:
Lucy wrote:
That's pretty far from true. Your opinion of your own self worth is an important factor in your self-esteem. Then again, you're also young so you fall into the same "my life is just starting" boat. These things are important to think about. What are your goals? What do you think will bring you a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment in life so you don't turn 40 one day and look back and see it was all just an empty void?

Living to 40 is probably the goal. lol

"Brothers, today is the day we revolt against our oppressive shark overlord. She is a filthy gill-breather that must be expunged to free us into a forum society that deserves free reign over its own actions. No longer shall we be the sheep of Lucy and her corrupt motivations. So rise up, forumers. Rise up, children of freedom. Let us smoke the dogfish with the sweet honey glaze of revenge!"

"#HeilNickiMinaj2013"

~Greg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RickyBobbyMew

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Lucy wrote:
Living to 40 is probably the goal. lol

You know what's bad, is it's not one of mine. I never thought I would live past 35. I'm still not too sure, even though I'm getting there. I don't *want to die* but I'd rather live the way I want to and not worry about consequences. If I'm on a self-destructive path, well... these are my best years and like they say, the flame that burns twice as bright burns only half as long. I'd rather live 40 awesome years not being a Slave To The System, then live 80 safe years doing only the things I'm supposed to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:39 am

I want to live to be 100

why the hell do I want to live that long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azure

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 am

MiloTime wrote:
I want to live to be 100

so you can look like a bedridden wrinkled prune who cant even reach the bathroom to make his own poop?

i hope to be dead before 60
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XoPachi

Humor : Anything

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 am

Azure wrote:
MiloTime wrote:
I want to live to be 100

so you can look like a bedridden wrinkled prune who cant even reach the bathroom to make his own poop?

I hope to be dead tomorrow. I'm sure others do too. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://xopachi.tumblr.com/
RickyBobbyMew

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:46 am

XoPachi wrote:

LOL!

... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:53 am

XoPachi wrote:
Azure wrote:
MiloTime wrote:
I want to live to be 100

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...   

Back to top Go down

Judging people's worth by being a productive member of society...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next