HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Thorium can power the world.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GinAndTonic

Humor : I didn't do it.

PostSubject: Thorium can power the world.   Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:59 pm

If you've never heard of an element called Thorium-90, type in "The Thorium Dream" into Youtube and watch the documentary.

There are many different ways to use nuclear energy, and most people don't know this, but not all of the methods create dangerous ticking time-bombs like Fukushima and Chernobyl.

There is a such thing called a "Molten Salt Reactor" that relies on the nature of physics instead of human up-keep like these stupid solid-fuel rod Uranium plants we use today. This reactor, using Thorium mixed with other fluoride salts, generates power with a liquid nuclear fuel-- meaning you can't have a meltdown because your fuel is already molten. All of the Xenon gases and radiation would bubble out into pools of water, which would stay radioactive for a few days before deteriorating into a more harmless waste. Even if you flew a fucking air plane into this reactor, the molten salts would leak out, turn back into a solid salt and could be scooped up and used again. Furthermore, NO WEAPONS-GRADE ELEMENTS can be made with this form of nuclear technology; a thorium MSR would generate things like Cobalt, Malibdium and other stuff that we actually USE for advanced space-age engineering.

The first successful MSR was built in 1954 and it WORKED. However, the Nixon administration cut off all funding to these alternate nuclear research programs in the early 70's and stuck us with the currently used solid fuel-rod Uranium reactors, because they create plutonium and obviously that's an element that made old Tricky Dick's gang a lot of "fuck-you" money.

Thorium is so reactive that you could power your house for the rest of your life with a chunk that could fit in your hand, and more than that, this stuff is PLENTIFUL-- literally, it's fucking everywhere, and right now it's considered "waste" and buried in the desert. There's enough Thorium in this world to power all of civilization for the next 10,000 years while we work on fusion power, which also means you can't really make a profit from it-- it's basically garbage, but highly useful garbage that could save our planet.

Sadly, the fossil fuel industries of the world continue lobbying against alternative energy solutions. All the solar and wind farms are just subsidy programs for the big energy programs, because they KNOW solar and wind power can't and will never generate enough energy to make fossil fuels obsolete.

If we want to see real change in the ways we get energy, it starts with us talking about it, educating ourselves and informing others so we can create the demand, because no one in a position of political influence is going to do it for us.

Then again, I fear most people probably aren't going to give a shit about where their energy comes from until one day, they can't go out and swipe a piece of plastic and get a cheeseburger... I hope I'm wrong. I care because the place where I grew up is targeted to be destroyed by a coal mining process known as "mountaintop removal," which as of now, is responsible for over 400 mountains disappearing in the Appalachian Mountains.

My home is going to be destroyed for a dirty crude fuel that could be made obsolete by technology we've had for almost 50 fucking years, so yes, I am extremely pissed off about this to the point of going on an epic keystroke tirade on an internet furry forum. My only other alternative is running out screaming into a megaphone in the street, but my drunk Nicaraguan neighbors are already doing that with mariachi music. 

If nothing else about this pisses you off, there's one last thing-- the U.S. could have had energy independence by the year 2000 if we'd gone with Throrium as our primary fuel source since the Kennedy administration, and RIGHT NOW, American corporations are selling off all this technology to China. 

There. I'm going to go have a smoke and water my garden now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tank Abuse

Humor : Exposed.

PostSubject: Re: Thorium can power the world.   Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Once all the oil and coal runs out then they'll turn to this. 

Until then, lel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gman313.deviantart.com/
GinAndTonic

Humor : I didn't do it.

PostSubject: Re: Thorium can power the world.   Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:02 am

Tank Abuse wrote:
Once all the oil and coal runs out then they'll turn to this. 

Until then, lel.

I think at our current rate of oil spills, exploding reactors and demolished mountains, we may run out of human life before we run out of fossil fuels. Maybe that's exactly what they want, but I'm tired of watching people needlessly fuck this world up and telling me there's nothing that can be done about it. Have you ever been evacuated from your home in the middle of the night because a god damned tar sand pipeline exploded in your back yard? My friends in Mayflower, Arkansas have, just back in March, and their entire town is fucking ruined forever now. How would you feel if Exxon then told you that they're not going to pay the government's environmental clean-up fines, because tar sand (although WORSE than oil) is technically "not oil?"

This is the shit we're dealing with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tank Abuse

Humor : Exposed.

PostSubject: Re: Thorium can power the world.   Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 am

What really made me angry was how, when the internet (of all fucking things) came under threat by SOPA and whatnot, everyone and their grandmother rose to meet the challenge---but ask them to fight against something like this and they'll sit about and do nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gman313.deviantart.com/
Riv
Literally the fucking worst

PostSubject: Re: Thorium can power the world.   Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:45 am

Yeah... There are energy options, we aren't pursuing them because they aren't profitable, and the folks with the money generally only care about themselves.

Of course, you can never let yourself fall under the delusion that any energy source is perfectly safe. MSRs are relatively safe, but they are under-investigated and still very subject to the hazards of human error and malicious intent.

That said, given that nuclear power is the only way we're going to make it through this millenium (if we even survive through the century), and controlled fusion isn't working yet, MSRs appear to be the best bet as far as existing tech goes.

AthenaiS

Humor : what are we actually meant to put here.

PostSubject: Re: Thorium can power the world.   Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 am

The Wardenclyffe was meant to provide energy for the entire earth but it's funding got cut off because it wasn't profitable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ask-snowplough.tumblr.com/
TangoDelahunt

Humor : Yes, I am Brace's boyfriend. Thx for asking!

PostSubject: Re: Thorium can power the world.   Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:51 pm

But why should we worry about fossil fuels running out? Jesus is coming back -any day now- so energy independence is a non-issue. :v
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thorium can power the world.   

Back to top Go down

Thorium can power the world.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1