General Time-Wasters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

this is very tempting

Go down 
+6
blackfuredfox
greg-the-fox
Riv
Pliio
Yuzani
Wolf-Bone
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

this is very tempting Empty
PostSubject: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:23 pm

this is very tempting Imgad?id=CICAgKD1_LPcqgEQrAIY-gEyCG8kujttDV6j

megusta

Back to top Go down
Yuzani

Yuzani

Humor : Unexpected

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Except I 'm pretty sure you're non religious and not single.
Back to top Go down
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Yuzani wrote:

you'd be right about the latter, but wrong about the former. I believe in god, very strongly in fact. I just happen to realize I'm a fallible human and that all I have is ideas about god, all of which are most likely wrong. for example, I have no reason to think Jesus and Anubis might be aspects of the same being other than it's just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

Humor : Satire

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 pm

My boyfriend is muslim.

And he is hot.
Back to top Go down
Riv
Literally the fucking worst
Riv

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Wolf-Bone wrote:
Yuzani wrote:

you'd be right about the latter, but wrong about the former. I believe in god, very strongly in fact. I just happen to realize I'm a fallible human and that all I have is ideas about god, all of which are most likely wrong. for example, I have no reason to think Jesus and Anubis might be aspects of the same being other than it's just an idea.

I don't think Jesus or Anubis go over well with Muslims...

Also what does Jesus have to do with mummification and jackals?
Back to top Go down
https://furrygtw.forumotion.com
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Pliio wrote:
My boyfriend is muslim.

And he is hot.

Interesting, to say the least. How does he reconcile homosexuality with Islam? I ask this because Islam as a whole needs to learn the fuck how and call me crazy but I think it might have to start with Muslims.

Riv wrote:

I don't think Jesus or Anubis go over well with Muslims...

Muslims actually revere Jesus, to the point that, for whatever reason, they share the Christian belief that he will return on Judgement Day. Which personally, I don't understand because if Muhammad is the last revealed prophet, you'd think God would have him be the guy to come out of retirement but w/e.

Riv wrote:

Also what does Jesus have to do with mummification and jackals?

Just the whole thing about Anubis guiding people through the afterlife, protecting the dead, supposedly being much more sympathetic to humanity than most of the other gods in the pantheon.
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Wolf-Bone wrote:
Pliio wrote:
My boyfriend is muslim.

And he is hot.

Interesting, to say the least. How does he reconcile homosexuality with Islam? I ask this because Islam as a whole needs to learn the fuck how and call me crazy but I think it might have to start with Muslims.
You'd be surprised about the number of gay people who follow Islam.
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Wolf-Bone wrote:
Pliio wrote:
My boyfriend is muslim.

And he is hot.

Interesting, to say the least. How does he reconcile homosexuality with Islam?

Probably the same way that Christians and Jews do. It's practically the exact same old testament, retooled three different times.
Back to top Go down
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Pliio wrote:

I wouldn't, actually. I don't believe they'd be so vocally and violently opposed to homosexuality if they weren't all too aware that it exists within their communities. Similar to Rastafari. But this might make me sound racist, and actually I don't care if it does, but I think certain cultures, like Arabic and Caribbean cultures are inherently homophobic because they're inherently obsessed with masculinity. I think it's this more than any sincerely held metaphysical beliefs that "make" a religion homophobic. I just figure it's probably those same beliefs that a homosexual holds that, somehow, tell them they're not a monster, or a freak, or somehow subhuman, because of how they interpret them. I'm just curious as to how that happens is all.

Riv wrote:
Probably the same way that Christians and Jews do. It's practically the exact same old testament, retooled three different times.

I dunno if I quite agree with that. Jews, Muslims and just thinkers alike often see certain issues inherent to Christianity, such as the level of paganism/syncretism involved as problematic, not to mention making something as fucked up as crucifixion/human sacrifice a central aspect to your "faith". Muslims in particular stress the belief that god can't be personified, which has a certain logic to it. As for Jews, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the hell they believe, and it's pretty sad that Howard Stern and TVTropes did more to help me better understand it than anything remotely resembling an authoritative tract on the subject.
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Pliio wrote:

That's like saying
"You'd be surprised how many black people are in the Klan" Seriously?
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 8:24 pm

greg-the-fox wrote:
Pliio wrote:

That's like saying
"You'd be surprised how many black people are in the Klan" Seriously?
Your delicious generalizations amuse me. It helps remind me that my IQ is 9 over Einstein's.

But seriously, there are a shit-ton of gay, Islamic communities. Especially in Europe.
Just because you don't hear about them vocally, doesn't mean they exist. Remember, there are 1.8 billion Islam followers worldwide. Mainly concentrated to an area that contains cultures from three (Maybe four) Continents and from nearly a hundred separate cultural/Ethnic groups.

Just like how there are a few million gay Christians. And a few million gay Catholics.

You know- kinda like how only fundamentalists of each of the abrahamic religions are anti-gay. And how defunct parts of all of their holy books are used for the purpose--

Actually, fuck it. I give up. Your statement clearly shows mass ignorance on the subject- and because of that your hilariously misinformed opinion is unlikely to ever change. pokerface
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:02 pm

You mad bro? trollface
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:08 pm

greg-the-fox wrote:
You mad bro? trollface
No. To be angry you have to have an emotional investment in a person- hatred or love.
I don't hate you. But I don't like you, either. I don't care about you in any way.
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Pliio wrote:
only fundamentalists of each of the abrahamic religions are anti-gay.

I wouldn't say it's just the fundamentalists. I'm sure there are even anti-gay atheists out there somewhere. Regardless of other beliefs, some people just don't want to deal with realities that make them uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Riv wrote:
Pliio wrote:

I wouldn't say it's just the fundamentalists. I'm sure there are even anti-gay atheists out there somewhere. Regardless of other beliefs, some people just don't want to deal with realities that make them uncomfortable.
Still, the only reason why religions get stigmatized as being anti-homosexual is because the anti-homosexual are really, really vocal. Really vocal. Yet they ARE the minority.
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Pliio wrote:
Riv wrote:
Pliio wrote:

Still, the only reason why religions get stigmatized as being anti-homosexual is because the anti-homosexual are really, really vocal. Really vocal. Yet they ARE the minority.

Can you cite a study? It sounds logical, but I feel uneasy accepting it as fact unless I have some objective data. Judging by the way elections go, I'd guess at least 30% of religious people are at least in favor of denying certain rights to gays.
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Riv wrote:
Pliio wrote:
Riv wrote:
Pliio wrote:

Can you cite a study? It sounds logical, but I feel uneasy accepting it as fact unless I have some objective data. Judging by the way elections go, I'd guess at least 30% of religious people are at least in favor of denying certain rights to gays.
30% is a minority. X3

And I think I COULD find a study if I had access to my college's database. But I don't at home.
Back to top Go down
Yuzani

Yuzani

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:03 pm

I worship Akatosh. The eight divines bless us for the mockeries of false gods such as the daedra!
Back to top Go down
blackfuredfox
Local Randy Travis
blackfuredfox

Humor : D is for lysdexia

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Yuzani wrote:
I worship Akatosh. The eight divines bless us for the mockeries of false gods such as the daedra!
8 divines? 8? 8?! TALOS MAY BE DENIED AS A GOD BY THE EMPIRE AND ALDEMERI DOMINION, BUT DAMN IT HE IS. Anyways, praise Alduin, The World Eater.
Back to top Go down
Yuzani

Yuzani

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 pm

You would praise the first born of my god rather than the glory of the balancer of life and death? FOOL

You who bask in the fetid darkness will find no embrace in the afterlife. Be it Sovngarde or Aetherius without my leige's compassion your spirit will have NO REST!
Back to top Go down
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 1:28 am

1) The analogy of black people in the KKK might sound somewhat inappropriate, but it should be pointed out that it's not exactly unheard of for blacks to hate their own kind and, to varying degree, themselves (for being black, not just the blind self-hate anyone can experience). Also not unheard of is racism/colorism within the black community. But it's something of an elephant in the room when discussing what racism really is beyond just white supremacism and power relations.

2) When the president of Iran, which is for all intents and purposes a theocracy, makes the claim that there's no gays in Iran, it kinda sums up the mentality. But then again, this is the same guy who also gives Holocaust denial a platform. So in a sense, yes, there is a huge aspect of denial in mainstream religions that threaten to put the entire faith(s) out of the mainstream if they ever become anything resembling a consensus. But so far, they haven't, and probably won't, if history is any indicator. A consensus can form within smaller groups and break away from (or, more often than not, be ostracized from) the mainline faith, but when that happens, it either forms a new religion or becomes a fringe cult.

3) The fact that fewer people than necessary are willing to champion gay rights, within religion or from outside it, is I think why (perhaps the only) reason one can still get away with saying X-religion is "inherently" homophobic or "devoid of" open homosexuals. Not entirely unlike the problem of institutional racism, people who don't consider themselves to be prejudiced enough to be part of the problem (and for the most part really aren't) don't get involved, out of apathy or fear of reprisal. But IMO, if someone is gay and believes in a religion, even if they themselves believe the religion to be against them by design, they're a member of that faith even if they're not a member of its congregation. Everyone who belongs to a faith is betraying it or just getting it wrong to some extent. No one who follows one today is really living like its respective founders, are they? It's just a matter of how you, personally, reconcile whatever separates you from that part of the beliefs with still having enough of the other beliefs to consider yourself one of its adherents. How one does that is what I want to know.

4) I'm glad Pliio made a distinction between Christianity and Catholicism. I wish more people would, including Catholics themselves. But that said, Protestants aren't exactly a shining example of whatever the "true", original Christianity was/is, and in that sense they're both Christian "enough", comparatively...
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 1:35 am

In all seriousness I pretty much agree with Wolf-Bone

I think the people who neither condone nor oppose discrimination, and simply sit back and ignore it are the biggest problem and are probably the majority of religious people. They want to pretend it's not happening. And that in itself is dangerous because it gives the zealots power, basically says what they're doing is 'okay'.

The only people really fighting back are the minorities themselves, and how good is that going?
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 3:47 am

I am seeing a growing number of Gay Christians making a stand for discrimination. Same thing for people who use the faith to oppose fundamentalist anti-homosexual views.

But then again I come from a place that is ass-backwards.
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 am

Pliio wrote:
I am seeing a growing number of Gay Christians making a stand for discrimination.

See, but those are part of the minority, as I just said. The straight ones would rather look the other way.
Back to top Go down
Yuzani

Yuzani

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 11:20 am

I don't really see what's wrong with being religiously intolerant. Blah blah blah it hurts unity and other similar arguments. Aside from that the pilgrims would never have come here to kill off the natives if there was religious equality in Europe!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: this is very tempting   this is very tempting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

this is very tempting
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
General Time-Wasters :: Main Category :: General Discussion-
Jump to: