General Time-Wasters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Science Thread

Go down 
+5
MiloTime
Zaraphayx
Tank Abuse
Lucy
blackfuredfox
9 posters
AuthorMessage
blackfuredfox
Local Randy Travis
blackfuredfox

Humor : D is for lysdexia

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Just thought of making this a thread for everything science related, ideas, stories, questions, and such. Throw things around maybe and see what we come up with.

----

I had this idea earlier today at work today. In regards to cloning people this occured to me, even if we make an exact copy of someone we can't really make them the exact same because of their personality. But then this came to me, what if during the growth of the clone while in an artificial womb a computer chip or radio device was inserted and could be used to change the chemistry of the brain? For example, I am 19 years old and my brain was mapped out and essentially copied and downloaded onto a super computer. Meanwhile an exact genetic copy of me was being created with the computer radio thing placed in and wired to the brain. Then, 19 years to the moment, the clone was taken from the artificial womb and the radio was activated and began to download the mapped out brain onto its, essentially, infant brain. Under these circumstances wouldn't it be, down to what he likes and his thoughts be the same as mine at 19?
Back to top Go down
Lucy
GTW Trailer Park Supervisor
Lucy

Humor : Shit hawks.

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Science is a lie.

Trust only in the healing powers of Jesus Christ.
Back to top Go down
Tank Abuse

Tank Abuse

Humor : Exposed.

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Praise the lord, for Lucy has seen the light.

But my love of science goes only as far as what new weapon/defense systems they've made/are making.

Railguns? Sweet.

A coating that makes tanks virtually invisible to heat-seeking weaponry? Boss.

A blanket that makes you invisible? Need I say more?
Back to top Go down
http://gman313.deviantart.com/
Zaraphayx

Zaraphayx

Humor : I am not funny sorry :[

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Tank Abuse wrote:

Finally I can jerk it in public and no one will be the wiser! ^_^
Back to top Go down
Tank Abuse

Tank Abuse

Humor : Exposed.

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Zaraphayx wrote:
Tank Abuse wrote:

Finally I can jerk it in public and no one will be the wiser! ^_^

Seriously?
Back to top Go down
http://gman313.deviantart.com/
MiloTime

MiloTime

Humor : George Michael Bluth

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Spoiler:

How to read people’s minds.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Riv
Literally the fucking worst
Riv

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:20 pm

blackfuredfox wrote:
Just thought of making this a thread for everything science related, ideas, stories, questions, and such. Throw things around maybe and see what we come up with.

----

I had this idea earlier today at work today. In regards to cloning people this occured to me, even if we make an exact copy of someone we can't really make them the exact same because of their personality. But then this came to me, what if during the growth of the clone while in an artificial womb a computer chip or radio device was inserted and could be used to change the chemistry of the brain? For example, I am 19 years old and my brain was mapped out and essentially copied and downloaded onto a super computer. Meanwhile an exact genetic copy of me was being created with the computer radio thing placed in and wired to the brain. Then, 19 years to the moment, the clone was taken from the artificial womb and the radio was activated and began to download the mapped out brain onto its, essentially, infant brain. Under these circumstances wouldn't it be, down to what he likes and his thoughts be the same as mine at 19?

Yeah, totally possible, just not with today's tech.

The two big problems are;

-Measuring the old brain.

-Forming the new brain.

No technology we have can measure the brain with enough accuracy while you're alive, and when you're dead, the brain breaks down too quickly to make meaningful measurements.

Assembling an identical copy of it will be a little harder. Probably some kind of really advanced 3d-printing thing would work best.

Kind of like this;

Back to top Go down
https://furrygtw.forumotion.com
Lucy
Lucy

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:21 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemispherectomy

The brain is fucking crazy, man.
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Lucy wrote:

That's not even the half of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-brain
Back to top Go down
Lucy
Lucy

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Riv wrote:
Lucy wrote:

That's not even the half of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-brain
And you know what the craziest part of it all is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

Seriously, this shit allows for you to surgically take out half a child's brain and they will still lead a normal healthy life.
Back to top Go down
Lucan

Lucan

Humor : terrible

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:06 am

Pffft?! Can your science explain why it rains?
Not a single fuck wa
Back to top Go down
Lucy
Lucy

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:07 am

Lucan wrote:
Pffft?! Can your science explain why it rains?
Not a single fuck wa
It rains because Jesus is sad.
Back to top Go down
RickyBobbyMew

RickyBobbyMew

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:23 am

Lucy wrote:

[wiki link]

Seriously, this shit allows for you to surgically take out half a child's brain and they will still lead a normal healthy life.

Depending on which "half" I'm not sure that would turn out well :p

Even if it was right on the corpus callosum I don't know if I would call that "normal."

Neurons can form new pathways but can't regenerate (after about 3, I think?)
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:24 am

RickyBobbyMew wrote:
Lucy wrote:

[wiki link]

Even if it was right on the corpus callosum I don't know if I would call that "normal."

Yeah, but the two halves are (mostly) redundant. It's totally possible for one half to do the job of both halves in such a way that you can't tell the difference without a medical scanner of some kind.
Back to top Go down
Lucy
Lucy

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:25 am

RickyBobbyMew wrote:
Lucy wrote:

[wiki link]

That's what is impressive about the brain. Each neuron isn't required for the whole brain, and they can all be re-written to handle pretty much any task. That's why a doctor can remove an entire hemisphere of your brain, and the remaining one is able to take over all the work without a problem.
Back to top Go down
RickyBobbyMew

RickyBobbyMew

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:28 am

Riv wrote:
Yeah, but the two halves are (mostly) redundant. It's totally possible for one half to do the job of both halves in such a way that you can't tell the difference without a medical scanner of some kind.

People have had it severed, and it causes weird shit.

Like you might cover one eye and be able to read something but not be able to explain what you just read.
Back to top Go down
Lucy
Lucy

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:35 am

RickyBobbyMew wrote:
Riv wrote:

Like you might cover one eye and be able to read something but not be able to explain what you just read.

Yes, in adults where the brain has stopped developing as much and neuroplasticity has gone down significantly, as well as damage to the corpus callosum.

However, in a child, the brain's ability to heal and replace lost parts is much stronger.

Last edited by Lucy on Sun May 05, 2013 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:35 am

RickyBobbyMew wrote:
Riv wrote:

I had posted a link to that on the previous page. It's called split-brain.
Back to top Go down
RickyBobbyMew

RickyBobbyMew

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:58 am

Riv wrote:
I had posted a link to that on the previous page. It's called split-brain.

Oh, okay. I had a feeling that might be related, but I didn't bother reading the link :p
Back to top Go down
blackfuredfox
Local Randy Travis
blackfuredfox

Humor : D is for lysdexia

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 4:45 am

Riv wrote:
blackfuredfox wrote:

----

Yeah, totally possible, just not with today's tech.

The two big problems are;

-Measuring the old brain.

-Forming the new brain.

No technology we have can measure the brain with enough accuracy while you're alive, and when you're dead, the brain breaks down too quickly to make meaningful measurements.

Assembling an identical copy of it will be a little harder. Probably some kind of really advanced 3d-printing thing would work best.

Kind of like this;

Okay, then what Im about to say is going to just sucker punch ethics right out the window and down 20 stories into a car. If one were to use multiple samples of genetic code from people could they pick and choose which genes are going to be reproduced? Would you be able to alter the DNA of the clone to create what would be the biological pinnacle of our current evolutionary state? On the subject of mapping brains too which would be used, what about using a basic brain then going just rewriting certain bits of it? I know how much this makes me sound like a Nazi, but without ethics and using eugenics could we create, well a superior type of human? One that is scientifically made and superior to how we are as of now?
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 9:53 am

blackfuredfox wrote:
Okay, then what Im about to say is going to just sucker punch ethics right out the window and down 20 stories into a car. If one were to use multiple samples of genetic code from people could they pick and choose which genes are going to be reproduced? Would you be able to alter the DNA of the clone to create what would be the biological pinnacle of our current evolutionary state? On the subject of mapping brains too which would be used, what about using a basic brain then going just rewriting certain bits of it? I know how much this makes me sound like a Nazi, but without ethics and using eugenics could we create, well a superior type of human? One that is scientifically made and superior to how we are as of now?

Well, yes and no. Genetics is still in its infancy, and we pretty much have no idea what we're doing.

The human body is kind of like a fine pocket watch in the early 1900's. Yes, the technology is primitive and simplistic, with plenty of room for improvement, but nobody really has any certainty regarding what the next step is going to be..
Back to top Go down
Ouiji

Ouiji

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 9:57 am

I carried two brains back to the lab from the autopsy suite on Friday. We removed them a week ago. Also, interesting fact, eating armadillos can result in leprosy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ouiji/
Sponsored content

Science Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Thread   Science Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Science Thread
Page 1 of 1