General Time-Wasters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Regarding Abusive Parents

Go down 
+6
Wolf-Bone
Riv
greg-the-fox
MiloTime
Bitchy_Whiny_Douche_Fox
Pliio
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MiloTime

MiloTime

Humor : George Michael Bluth

Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 pm

ok wolf. just stop getting so pissed off at us if it's so personal.
Back to top Go down
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Bottom fucking line, I used to have a positive opinion of psychology. It's the people who represent the field who did a fine job of undoing that opinion. You're known by the company you keep.
Back to top Go down
Riv
Literally the fucking worst
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 11:53 pm

Wolf-Bone wrote:
First, in regards to everyone, fuck you. Second, I've actually tried to get help in the past, and all I learned was that most of the people in that profession look down on their patients. Some even told me point blank they thought I was pretty much a waste of skin, but that they could tell I was the type who wouldn't do anything about it, or them saying it, and that's why they did it. So stuff your self-righteousness the fuck up your asses. I'm sure there's exceptions to the rule, but this is my experience, and it's just as legit as anyone elses.

If you think my beef with mental health is personal, you're God damned right it's personal.
It's basic human nature. It's fucking common sense.
If any of you had it, you wouldn't even consider it as a profession, because you'd know better to think you're going to improve it just by studying it, let alone working in the field.

Science: |ˈsīəns| noun. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through trying to pass off a small number of personal experiences as an accurate representation of reality as a whole.
Back to top Go down
https://furrygtw.forumotion.com
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 am

Riv wrote:
Science: |ˈsīəns| noun. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through trying to pass off a small number of personal experiences as an accurate representation of reality as a whole.

Great, now show this to them. It's not me you need to convince. Trying to pass off their opinions based on their own, individual views and experiences as the be all and end all (if they were even relevant to my situation, which they often weren't) was exactly what sessions with them amounted to. That's when they weren't ranting basically about how much they hate their job.
Back to top Go down
AleuTheWolf

AleuTheWolf

Humor : Puns

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 am

It's not really accurate to judge an entire group of people based on bad experiences. That's pretty much how bigotry in all forms perpetuates. People are individuals. Of course there's going to be some idiotic psychologists. There's going to be idiotic nurses too. Does that mean that they're all bad?

I guess it all boils down to
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
Back to top Go down
Brace

Brace

Humor : Lying through truthtelling

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:43 am

Protip: If you read enough random philosophy, you will inevitably learn to speak psychologist since it's actually a language derived from philosophy. Also there is literally no need for agreement or consensus in the field. You are a professional if you know all the right words and are capable of consistently assembling them cogently.

Biggest argument against the sanity of psychologists: They spent 6-8 years and potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars studying psychology, as opposed to a useful or lucrative field.

Although frankly, economics might be even worse in some of these capacities.
Back to top Go down
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:56 pm

AleuTheWolf wrote:
It's not really accurate to judge an entire group of people based on bad experiences. That's pretty much how bigotry in all forms perpetuates. People are individuals. Of course there's going to be some idiotic psychologists. There's going to be idiotic nurses too. Does that mean that they're all bad?

I can realize that. But first impressions count for a lot, and I've never been given a pass when I make a bad one. In terms of pure power relations (which is pretty much the only thing in the fucking universe that matters when you cut the moralistic crap), they're basically God compared to me. I've hardly ever held a job where I couldn't be let go if my boss so much as doesn't like the look of my face. They work for the government, meaning it's virtually impossible for them to lose their job short of something like sexual harassment. The truth is, that should give them a great sense of responsibility, but it actually gives them less, compared to me. I didn't go there thinking, per the stereotype, that I was supposed to dump all my problems on them. I just wanted help, to identify the problem(s) and find solutions that I could use, but they couldn't even be arsed to help me with that and, instead, I ended up being the one for them to dump all their problems on!

AleuTheWolf wrote:

Aside from the fact you basically pulled that out of your ass, in a beautifully failed attempt to be witty, it makes no sense.

Brace wrote:
Protip: If you read enough random philosophy, you will inevitably learn to speak psychologist since it's actually a language derived from philosophy. Also there is literally no need for agreement or consensus in the field. You are a professional if you know all the right words and are capable of consistently assembling them cogently.

Biggest argument against the sanity of psychologists: They spent 6-8 years and potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars studying psychology, as opposed to a useful or lucrative field.

Although frankly, economics might be even worse in some of these capacities.

Actually the biggest argument against their sanity would be how fucking ungrateful they are to have secure, well-paying jobs where they do little actual work compared to most people, and then tell one of those people they should be more grateful when they don't even have a job! Their inability to think beyond stereotypes and their own, rather narrow range of experiences (your experiences are irrelevant because you're just a normal, salt-of-the-earth hick whose had like a dozen different jobs and not a cultured, pompous asshole from Upper Canada or wherever who's held exactly one in roughly the same timeframe) is also a huge fucking barrier.

I think if I went ahead and did the one thing I swore I wouldn't do, which is actually write out exactly what happened, it might make a little more sense to some of you - if you'd fucking bother to read it, which you wouldn't, because people refuse to read anything that contradicts their views. Or if they do, they just perform their usual mental gymnastics and assume the person is too biased to write anything worthwhile, if not outright lying.
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

Humor : Satire

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Wolf-Bone wrote:

AleuTheWolf wrote:

Aside from the fact you basically pulled that out of your ass, in a beautifully failed attempt to be witty, it makes no sense.

A game works fine.
Players abuse it.
The game works fine.
The players are retarded.
The game works fine.
The players suck.
The players create the problem when a game is set up to be inabusive and nonproblematic.

How the fuck could you not understand a simple statement like that?
Back to top Go down
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Pliio wrote:
Wolf-Bone wrote:

AleuTheWolf wrote:

A game works fine.
Players abuse it.
The game works fine.
The game works fine.
The players suck.
The players create the problem when a game is set up to be inabusive and nonproblematic.

Except the expression is, and has always been, "don't hate the player, hate the game", lest one be a player hater, which before "snitch" was the worst thing to be called by a black person next to "honkey". She's basically saying "be a player hater rather than entertain the thought there could be something seriously wrong with the game itself", which is preposterous. We're all playing the game, which by the way you just lost.
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Wolf-Bone wrote:
Pliio wrote:
Wolf-Bone wrote:

AleuTheWolf wrote:

A game works fine.
Players abuse it.
The game works fine.
The game works fine.
The players suck.

Except the expression is, and has always been, "don't hate the player, hate the game", lest one be a player hater, which before "snitch" was the worst thing to be called by a black person next to "honkey". She's basically saying "be a player hater rather than entertain the thought there could be something seriously wrong with the game itself", which is preposterous. We're all playing the game, which by the way you just lost.
That's cool.
Back to top Go down
AleuTheWolf

AleuTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Wolf-Bone wrote:
Pliio wrote:
Wolf-Bone wrote:

AleuTheWolf wrote:

A game works fine.
Players abuse it.
The game works fine.
The game works fine.
The players suck.

The whole "Don't hate the player, hate the game" thing never made any sense to me. People cheat. Why should we hate a game when people cheat the game?

Back to top Go down
Joeyyy

Joeyyy

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

I was beaten senseless by my stepdad. it showed then, but ive learned to forget it. Though, I leave respect for anyone with small scars from their experiences.

EDIT: This thread is so de-railed... pokerface
Back to top Go down
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:14 pm

AleuTheWolf wrote:
The whole "Don't hate the player, hate the game" thing never made any sense to me. People cheat. Why should we hate a game when people cheat the game?

If the game not only facilitates cheating, but rewards it, it shouldn't even need explaining.
Oh who the fuck am I kidding. I never got along with you on FAF, I'm not getting along with you here.
People are incapable of change. Believe what you want. I don't care. Leave me alone.
Quote the raven, nevermore.
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Joeyyy wrote:

I said one thing about hypnotism being questionable and everyone started raging about psychology Seriously?
Back to top Go down
AleuTheWolf

AleuTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Wolf-Bone wrote:
AleuTheWolf wrote:

If the game not only facilitates cheating, but rewards it, it shouldn't even need explaining.
Oh who the fuck am I kidding. I never got along with you on FAF, I'm not getting along with you here.
People are incapable of change. Believe what you want. I don't care. Leave me alone.
Quote the raven, nevermore.

I don't see how it facilitates or rewards cheating.

Also, if people couldn't change then psychiatrists/psychologists wouldn't have a job now would they? Some people need a nudge and others need a nice kick in the ass but it's possible.
Back to top Go down
Wolf-Bone

Wolf-Bone

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 pm

AleuTheWolf wrote:
I don't see how it facilitates or rewards cheating.

You probably don't see a lot of things you don't want to see. I could care less if you ever see them.

AleuTheWolf wrote:
Also, if people couldn't change then psychiatrists/psychologists wouldn't have a job now would they? Some people need a nudge and others need a nice kick in the ass but it's possible.

Or it could be that simply the shrinks it's obvious don't give a rats ass about their job are the ones who get sent out to the boondocks in an ill-fated, last-ditch attempt at civilizing the savages (both us and them). And if that's the case, it'd help explain why they come across as such embittered assholes to someone like me. But that still is a flaw in the system, even if it's a flaw in them.

"the system" is just the worst qualities of man made, well, systemic anyway. So the whole "don't hate the player, hate the game" thing is really about as stupid as the reverse.
Back to top Go down
Joeyyy

Joeyyy

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 pm

greg-the-fox wrote:
Joeyyy wrote:

I said one thing about hypnotism being questionable and everyone started raging about psychology Seriously?

"GUIZ. IM TAKING A CLASS IN PSYCHOLOGY. I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOURE THINKING AND HOW YOUR BRAIN WORKS"
Back to top Go down
Pliio

Pliio

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:32 am

I... Think I'm just going to lock this one and let it die. It has become too far derailed and turned into flaming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regarding Abusive Parents   Regarding Abusive Parents - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Regarding Abusive Parents
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
General Time-Wasters :: Main Category :: Angry Dome-
Jump to: