General Time-Wasters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Minecraft: The Thread

Go down 
+9
Aurora_Dragon
Jesusfish
Spawts
MiloTime
Trey
Riv
blackfuredfox
greg-the-fox
Kaizy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
MiloTime

MiloTime

Humor : George Michael Bluth

Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 pm

greg-the-fox wrote:
Riv wrote:
Redstone is practically useless... I just spent thirty minutes and dedicated ~50 square meters of space, just so I could have steel double-doors that can be opened with a switch on the inside or outside.

If only they made single-block logic gates, that would be wonderful.
Lol you're doing it wrong, you can do that with such a small footprint trollface
Look up designs on youtube

redstone logic is like doing math... not worth it. Seriously?

I mean, I might do like, an automatic door opener or something, but fuck everything else pokerface
Back to top Go down
Riv
Literally the fucking worst
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 pm

greg-the-fox wrote:
Riv wrote:
Redstone is practically useless... I just spent thirty minutes and dedicated ~50 square meters of space, just so I could have steel double-doors that can be opened with a switch on the inside or outside.

If only they made single-block logic gates, that would be wonderful.
Lol you're doing it wrong, you can do that with such a small footprint trollface
Look up designs on youtube

No, to do what I wanted I specifically needed an XNOR gate, which, combined with the circuitry I needed to make both doors move together (need to give one door a 0 and other door a 1), is a big circuit that needs lots of breathing room to prevent crosswiring.

I can't use buttons because I hate buttons. Doors keep shutting in my face when I use buttons. I wanted it switch operated, but I needed to be able to hit it from both sides, and I didn't want a hole in my wall.
Back to top Go down
https://furrygtw.forumotion.com
MiloTime

MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Riv wrote:

No, to do what I wanted I specifically needed an XNOR gate, which, combined with the circuitry I needed to make both doors move together (need to give one door a 0 and other door a 1), is a big circuit that needs lots of breathing room to prevent crosswiring.

pokerface pokerface pokerface

/brain
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 pm

MiloTime wrote:
Riv wrote:

/brain

I have had a college electronics class, and it still took me 5 minutes to figure out it was the XNOR gate I needed.

But tbh, binary logic isn't that hard to wrap your mind around. There are only two numbers in it, after all.
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 pm

Riv wrote:

I can't use buttons because I hate buttons. Doors keep shutting in my face when I use buttons. I wanted it switch operated, but I needed to be able to hit it from both sides, and I didn't want a hole in my wall.

One time I did a piston door with an XOR gate (or XNOR, I can never remember which) which was 1 wide and 2 tall, and had a lever on the adjacent wall on either side. I wanted to use buttons, but I figured I would have to add a T flip flop to each input and I had no idea how to do that. I did make it pretty damn compact though for what it was. Of course I only ever made a prototype, and it wasn't actually attached to a building. Not a single fuck wa

Of course I think I was over-thinking it and I could've done the whole thing with a T flip flop right? I basically needed a 2 way RS-NOR latch so that the doors wouldn't crush me and kill me (like they kept doing when I walked through lol) Oh yeah I remember, a T flip flop WOULD work if every time I entered it from opposite sides, but not if I tried to enter it from the same side twice, which is very possible if I had multiple entrances. I needed something that would take either input in any order and be self reseting in one step rather than two.

But I don't actually understand how most of this works, I just have an idea in my head of what I want to happen, a VERY basic idea of what each logic gate does, and I do the actual wiring with tons of help from online and painful trial and error...

Last edited by greg-the-fox on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MiloTime

MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Riv wrote:
MiloTime wrote:
Riv wrote:

/brain

I have had a college electronics class, and it still took me 5 minutes to figure out it was the XNOR gate I needed.

But tbh, binary logic isn't that hard to wrap your mind around. There are only two numbers in it, after all.

I don't even know what xnor means
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:01 pm

That was probably an XOR gate, those are simpler. All of the XNOR gates on the minecraft wiki are at least two layers deep.

MiloTime wrote:
I don't even know what xnor means

Alright, it's kind of complicated. This is like a weeks worth of lecture material. 0 means "dim redstone," and 1 means "glowing redstone."

You've got you OR gate, which is exactly what it sounds like. this OR that. You have two inputs, and if either one (or both) is 1, then the OR gate spits out a 1. If both inputs are 0, it spits out a 0.

X is used to mean exclusive. So for an XOR gate, you can have either input set to 1, and the XOR gate spits out a 1. But if both are 1, it gives you a 0. Because it will only take EXCLUSIVELY this OR EXCLUSIVELY that.

N means not. Not basically just means take whatever it does without the n, and do the opposite. So a NOR gate (Not OR gate) will give you a 1 if both inputs are 0, or a 0 if either or both inputs are 1. The opposite of the OR gate.

And then XNOR mashes it all together. It is an Exclusive Not OR gate. So it does the opposite of an XOR gate. If either input is set to 1, the XNOR spits out a 0. But if both inputs are 0, or both inputs are 1, it spits out a 1.

And yes, what I just wrote there is extremely confusing. I hardly understand it. It's easier to explain hands-on, with pictures.
Back to top Go down
MiloTime

MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:10 pm

of course, I didn't understand the whole thing. but I think I got a gist of it. depending on with combination of 1 and 0, and OR, or NOR, and depending on X, you get different... you... a glowing... um...

ok yea, I have absolutely no idea Not a single fuck wa
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 pm

MiloTime wrote:
of course, I didn't understand the whole thing. but I think I got a gist of it. depending on with combination of 1 and 0, and OR, or NOR, and depending on X, you get different... you... a glowing... um...

ok yea, I have absolutely no idea Not a single fuck wa

Trust me, you're not supposed to get it that fast. Optimally, I'd spend an hour in front of a chalkboard explaining that, and there'd be tables, and pictures, and it would make so much more sense.
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Lightbulbs controlled by two switches are XOR or XNOR gates. With an XOR gate, when both are up, lights are on. Both are down, lights are on. One is up, one is down (in either order) lights are off.

XNOR gate is similar. Both are up, lights are off. Both are down, lights are off. One is up, one is down (either order) lights are on.

(I might have reversed them I can never remember which is which)

So with a door you open it on one side, and then close it behind you on the other. It's just a fancy way of making an iron door or pistons act like an unwired wood door Not a single fuck wa (but with new zombie AI it's necessary to have iron doors now)

See my brain works in a way that I need some kind of example like that to understand it, and then I can understand it just fine. I didn't understand a single word of what Riv just said, but that could be the beer I just had making my brain turn off Not a single fuck wa
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 pm

greg-the-fox wrote:
Lightbulbs controlled by two switches are XOR or XNOR gates. With an XOR gate, when both are up, lights are on. Both are down, lights are on. One is up, one is down (in either order) lights are off.

XNOR gate is similar. Both are up, lights are off. Both are down, lights are off. One is up, one is down (either order) lights are on.

(I might have reversed them I can never remember which is which)
Yeah, that's backwards. The plus side, though, you could always pass it through a NOT and get the same result, if you don't mind moving your door over a few blocks. And up a block. lol.

Quote :
See my brain works in a way that I need some kind of example like that to understand it, and then I can understand it just fine. I didn't understand a single word of what Riv just said, but that could be the beer I just had making my brain turn off Not a single fuck wa

Yeah, without pictures, my education in binary logic is kind of bollocks.

Edit: Hmm... I wonder if I could turn the redstone wires around and put the circuit together under the doors instead of to the side... But this stronghold is so low I might hit lava...
Back to top Go down
MiloTime

MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 am

there has to be a faster way to shovel dirt and shit, than just using a shovel or tnt Y U NO?
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:04 am

MiloTime wrote:
there has to be a faster way to shovel dirt and shit, than just using a shovel or tnt Y U NO?

Enchant shovel, get efficiency
Back to top Go down
MiloTime

MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:10 am

greg-the-fox wrote:
MiloTime wrote:

Enchant shovel, get efficiency

enchant shovel:

create stacks of bookshelves, find the extremely rare ingredients required to make an enchanting table, find diamond in order to access the ingredients necessary to create enchanting table.

I still haven't even found diamond yet Seriously?
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 am

MiloTime wrote:

Y U NO? Y U NO DIG DOWN WITH F3 ON AND MINE AROUND LEVELS 10-16?
Just dig a straight tunnel at level 12 for a few hundred blocks and I GUARANTEE you'll find some.
Back to top Go down
MiloTime

MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:37 am

greg-the-fox wrote:
MiloTime wrote:

Y U NO? Y U NO DIG DOWN WITH F3 ON AND MINE AROUND LEVELS 10-16?
Just dig a straight tunnel at level 12 for a few hundred blocks and I GUARANTEE you'll find some.

I'M TOO BUSY MAKING MY TOWN FABULOUS
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 am

But... caving is like the best part of minecraft pokerface how can you not love/fear/hate/be fucking addicted to it?
Back to top Go down
MiloTime

MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 am

greg-the-fox wrote:
But... caving is like the best part of minecraft pokerface how can you not love/fear/hate/be fucking addicted to it?

I once spent 4 days (in RL time) in a cave.... four... days. never seeing the light. Mother Of God!

caving has been different for me ever since Okay.jpg
Back to top Go down
Taz

Taz

Humor : Suggestive, Dry, Sardonic

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 4:56 am

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I FORGOT TO SAVE MY MINECRAFT FILES WHEN I REFORMATTED...
This makes me so damn sad...
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 am

MiloTime wrote:
greg-the-fox wrote:

I once spent 4 days (in RL time) in a cave.... four... days. never seeing the light. Mother Of God!

After the first hour of being lost, it's usually a good idea to pick a wall and just start mining up. Make a spiral staircase to the surface.

Once you get to the top, just make a huge 1x1 tower of cobblestone blocks, hopefully you'll be able to recognize your location.

Sometimes, if you're carrying really good stuff, and the place you pop out of looks promising, it might just be a good idea to build a house there. You'll probably find your old home eventually. If you set out determined to find your old place, you'll probably die and have no idea how to find where you died and how to get your stuff back.
Back to top Go down
MiloTime

MiloTime

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Riv wrote:
MiloTime wrote:
greg-the-fox wrote:

After the first hour of being lost, it's usually a good idea to pick a wall and just start mining up. Make a spiral staircase to the surface.

Once you get to the top, just make a huge 1x1 tower of cobblestone blocks, hopefully you'll be able to recognize your location.

Sometimes, if you're carrying really good stuff, and the place you pop out of looks promising, it might just be a good idea to build a house there. You'll probably find your old home eventually. If you set out determined to find your old place, you'll probably die and have no idea how to find where you died and how to get your stuff back.

I didn't return to the surface because I.... I didn't want to inglip

anyway, what I usually do when I'm lost is I stack up a bunch of dirt blocks until I'm really high up, set the rendering distance to far, and just scout everything out, to see if anything looks familiar Not a single fuck wa

I've learned after a while to just place a 1x1 huge tower right in the middle of my roof of the house. but every now and then, when I go far out, I'll spread out torches.
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:58 pm

MiloTime wrote:
I didn't return to the surface because I.... I didn't want to inglip

You hadn't seen the sun in four days... and you didn't want to?

What are you, an FAF administrator?

Not a single fuck wa
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 10:37 am

So, I realized yesterday, using an XNOR gate was completely unnecessary, and a much smaller, simpler, XOR gate would have sufficed.

pokerface
Back to top Go down
Riv
Riv

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Oh ho!

I've just discovered a mod called skyblock. You spawn on top of a small block of dirt, floating in midair at about y=64, with no other map at all except for a small block of sand about 45 meters away. The spawn island has;

-A tree
-A chest with;
~a block of ice
~a bucket of lava

and the sand island has

-A cactus
-A chest with;
~A single slice of melon
~Pumpkin seeds
~10 obsidian

It's taking forever to get anywhere, but I'm still doing way better than the guys whose youtube blog turned me on to the mod.
Back to top Go down
greg-the-fox

greg-the-fox

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:55 pm

I played skyblock a long time ago back when it was a bit different

It was interesting but got really fucking boring after I had to sit there grinding at the cobblestone generator forever to do anything. Completed all the challenges and everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft: The Thread   Minecraft: The Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Minecraft: The Thread
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next